Abbazia di Vezzolano
It is the most valuable Romanesque building in Piedmont: according to a legend, the Abbey was founded by Charlemagne; at the beginning it was supposed to be the chapel of a castle and the first written evidence of its existence dates back to 1095. It has a Romanesque facade in terracotta and sandstone, in the 12th century Lombard style. In the center, the portal has valuable reliefs, and is surmounted by three blind galleries on columns. At the bottom of the left side, there is the bell tower, decorated with intertwined arches.
The interior has two apsed naves as well as a third, inserted in the cloister. The naves are divided by pillars, which support acute arches and cross vaults.
The central nave houses a two-order bas-relief: the lower one features 35 patriarchs, ancestors of Mary; in the upper one, the deposition of the body of Mary, the Assumption and the Triumph in heaven.
On the altar you can admire a Gothic triptych in polychrome terracotta.
The cloister is accessed from the bottom of the right nave: it is decorated with frescoes from the 13th and 14th centuries.
In our day, the Abbey of Vezzolano hosts a permanent exhibition on Romanesque.
summer 9 – 13/14 – one hour before sunset
winter 9.30 – 13/14 – 17
Information: tel. 011.43.61.577/43.61.512